Accepting Applications to Establish a Hiring List for
Lieutenant/EMT/Paramedic (preferred) and Captain/EMT/Paramedic
Under the direction of the Fire Chief, this classification is responsible for performing, directing, and supervising activities of the fire station on an assigned shift including fire suppression, emergency rescue, inspection, investigation, training, support functions and other related activities.
The incumbent will be assigned to 56-hour per week as a shift worker or, at the discretion of the Fire Chief, to perform specialized administrative duties in support of a Department Division, including Training, Operations, Support Services, or Fire Prevention.
Company Officer/EMT/Paramedic is also responsible for direct supervision of subordinates (volunteer firefighters). The Company Officer/EMT/Paramedic will work as a station supervisor. He/She will also be required to drive and perform pumping evolutions with fire apparatus.
Company Officer/EMT/Paramedic is responsible for direct supervision of personnel assigned to the shift. Paramedic preferred, not required.
All positions may also be assigned specialized administration duties by the Fire Chief. The incumbent is trained on the various skill sets and application of equipment used in firefighting, rescue, salvage, emergency medical services, operation of fire apparatus and equipment, public education, fire prevention inspections and investigations. The employee will operate fire engines and other firefighting equipment to include, but not limited to: nozzles, hoses, self-contained breathing apparatus, power saw, pumps and generators. All firefighting and emergency operations must be performed during all kinds of weather conditions. The employee maybe exposed to extreme heat, smoke, hazardous chemicals, and falling materials.
The district’s operational model results in many entry level firefighters on staff. The ability and desire to teach and mentor is critical.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are normal for this job. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties maybe required and assigned.
- Assists the Chief in directing the activities of an assigned shift
- Drive and operate all fire district fire apparatus
- Responds to alarms and aids in suppression of fires including entry, rescue, EMS, incidents and hazardous materials.
- Directs and supervises station household maintenance
- Performs extremely strenuous and physical labor for extended periods under some unfavorable climatic conditions, frequently lifting objects weighing 50 to 150 pounds
Minimum Qualifications and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions:
- Must be capable of performing as Engineer (drive and pump)
- Lieutenant – Minimum 5 years volunteer experience or 3 years full time experience
- ICS 300 & 400
- HazMat Decon
- Three Company Officer classes
- All qualifications listed above.
- Captain – Minimum 6 years volunteer experience or 4 years full time experience
- Company Officer certificate
- 1 year if you are a Paramedic for all three positions
- Engineer will be required to also take three Company Officer classes
- Lieutenant will be required to complete Company Officer certification
- Captain will be required to take two Chief Officer Classes
- If you are an EMT, probation lasts until you have become an accredited Paramedic within the county. Paramedic school, hospital time, ambulance time, and testing takes approximately 2 years.
Medical insurance – Employees are entitled to participate in whatever health and welfare benefit plans that the District provides for its employees.
CalPERS retirement – classic for those who qualify, new members will be PEPRA
Work shift designated by fire district
Vacation accrued at rate in employee MOU, cannot be used during 1st year of probation
Sick leave accrued at rate in employee MOU
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications are being accepted until list is established.
Download application from https://cordeliafire.org . Submit completed application with other required items*
Mail or deliver to:
Cordelia Fire Protection District
Attn: Chief Carpenter
2155 Cordelia Rd.
Fairfield, CA 94534
Or Email to:
No faxed application packets will be accepted.
Questions regarding the opportunity or application process may be directed to Chief Carpenter at email@example.com or call 707-864-0468
- District application (available at https://www.cordeliafire.org)
- Letter of interest
- A copy of all pertinent job related certificates
- Include a copy of your state EMT, CPR, & CPAT
- Include a copy of your state Paramedic card, PALS, ACLS, CPAT, CPR, ITLS or equivalent
- Copy of your driver’s license - class c with firefighter endorsements or class A or B